Thursday, May 10, 2012

African Formula Hair Gel

Readers of this blog know that I am always around and about looking for new and healthful products to use for hair conditioning and maintenance. I stumbled upon something good that I wanted to share here on the blog.

Two days ago I was in "Whole Foods" scouring the health and beauty aisle looking for a product that didn't contain a lot of dangerous chemicals. (I needed edge control for natural hair). Well, I spoke briefly with the sales associate.  He then  disappeared for a brief moment - I almost thought  that he didn't know what to give me.  Well,  he reappeared with African Formula "SuperGrow Hair Gel Extra Hold."  I carefully perused the label and was satisfied with the fact that there didn't seem to be a lot of chemicals.  It seemed to be a wholesome blend of vitamins, herbs and oils.  There was one ingredient, "natural preservatives" that seems to be vague.  I will inquire further as to what this actually is.  Anyway, I've used it for two days and, so far so good.

A breakdown of the herbal ingredients

According to the label the ingredients include wild bee honey, coconut oil, west African shea butter, olive oil, basil, safflower oil, birch, coltsfoot, horsetail, calendula blossoms, rosemary, onion juice, biotin, panthenol and finally Vitamins A, B, C and E.  These ingredients are supposed to work together to stimulate natural hair growth, prevent hair loss or thinning and give hair strength to make it grow thicker and healthier.

So, just for my own information, I went home and did some research on the herbal properties in this hair preparation.

Horsetail plant is among the top 5 herbs which help in fighting against hair loss. Safflower oil, Rosemary, coltsfoot, onion and/or garlic juice are also good for thinning hair and prevention of breakage. Biotin, panthenol and other B vitamins are good also for hair growth, brittle hair and prevention of breakage.

Olive oil, shea butter, coconut oil and wild bee honey, I happened to already know are great for moisturization and antioxidants.

In summary

So, it sounds like this preparation may be a good bet for the money.  I'll give updates every six or so weeks.

If anyone has had any experience with this product, please feel free to leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment