Friday, July 19, 2013

Hair Extension Styles for Summer Glamour 2013

This is the second post with ideas for easy, nearly care free glamour during these scorching days of summer.  

Summertime poses extra challenges as women with natural ethnic hair attempt to stay beautiful and cool; for example, say swimming and most women cringe at the thought of maintaining their beautiful hair style. If you're like me, you've had problems with uneven hair due to wearing "too tight braids," wigs, perms and other things that we do to damage our hair as we chase beauty. If you have problems with uneven edges with say, a longer hair length towards the back of the head, here's some nice ideas that I came up with to volumize uneven hair safely without incurring any additional damage or breakage.
Natural looking extensions with #30 highlights

Natural Hair braiding: Picking your extensions

What I usually do is scout through some hair styling magazines to get ideas and then I try to replicate them within my ability to braid in extensions.  What I usually find is that water weave blends in nicely with my hair as the texture, when braided, has a kinky/curly look.  The color I opt for is usually  1B with #30 blended in highlights. (I've gotten many compliments with this mix). This blends in with my hair.  Now depending upon your desired look, you may select a different hair texture and color).

Preparation

Next, I go home, wash and condition my hair with a sulfate-free shampoo. (If you had hair, cover with a plastic caps for deep conditioning). For extra moisturization, I also use shea butter to aid in  blasting dryness. After that, I meticulously part my hair and braid in the extension.  I only braid to the ends of my own hair.  The look is seen in the photo.  This look will usually last for about three weeks to one month.  For maintenance, I usually apply Dr. Miracle's 'Growth Serum". So Far, I am pleased with the results as my hair is growing in nicely.

To remove, be careful about pulling the hair.  Apply conditioner or shampoo to ease braids out.  (I don't like to braid too tightly because this invites breakage). 

Then, when finished, try massaging the hair.  Shampoo and condition and you're ready to do it all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment